Ho. Lee. Butts.
This is a delicious fall meal. I used mostly my Full Circle ingredients from this week to make this super tasty lunch bowl. I had one fairly small delicata squash, a bunch of kale and an inspiration from a recipe I found on Yummly.
While this isn’t 100% my own, I altered the recipe and made it myself (while cleaning my kitchen, it was a tricky situation for a minute!).
This also uses my absolutely favorite way to make kale. My old roommate would make kale this way – I didn’t know it could be this good! It opened my eyes to using kale more often as a simple side dish. Lemony garlicky perfection.
The delicata squash caramelizes on one side, it ends up being a fairly sweet dish and so, so good. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
RECIPE – Serves 2
1 small delicata squash, cut into 1/2 in rounds
4 leaves of curly kale, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 T tumeric
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp Paprika
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a medium baking sheet, combine some oil, delicata squash rounds, making sure they’re completely coated. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika. Cook (do not turn!) for 35-40 minutes.
- While the squash is making magic happen, in a medium (or small) pot, heat up a smidge (less than a tablespoon) of oil. Add 1/2 of the garlic, cooking until it is just brown. Add the basmati rice, heat through, about 1 minute. Add a cup of water and the tumeric. Stir for a hot second and cover. When the water start to boil, turn down the heat so it simmers (keeping covered) until rice is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- With about 7-10 minutes, start making your kale. In a non-stick pan, add about a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add kale and cook till fragrant. Add kale and salt and pepper. I keep this at medium instead of medium-high heat so my kale doesn’t burn. When the kale is nice and wilty, squeeze 1/2 lemon over, stir quickly and remove from heat.
- Your squash, rice and kale should all finish about the same time. Split everything between two dishes and enjoy nice and warm!